Monday, September 28, 2009

Mondays Harvest Post

Here goes the first harvest post of fall and boy was it a fall day, cool, windy & rainy all day long. If you would like to see more harvest post check out Daphne's page for the full list.

Sept 25th harvest: I harvested all the broccoli heads that were ready. There is a few tiny heads left that I am hoping will grow into more large heads in a few weeks. I am also still picked a few tomatoes even with all the blight problems this season. In the basket is a bunch of Jersey Devil paste tomatoes & a Hillbilly Potato Loaf tomato. The photo just above shows how large the jersey devils grow, pretty fat paste toms for sure!

Sept 28 harvest: The first thing I harvested today was all the Jimmy Nardello Peppers, they are a sweet Italian frying pepper that I will make salsa with. There also was a few more Jersey Devil tomatoes ready and the first Sungold cherry of the season.

13 comments:

  1. Oh wow at those tomatoes. I can't believe you've got toms and broccoli at the same time. Those heads look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like your summer crops are still going strong. I really miss my tomatoes. I have exactly three cherries left that haven't quite ripened up yet. They really don't taste like much after they have ripened inside. Ah well. Only 10 more months until tomato season starts again.

    Love the broccoli heads. They look so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, Jimmy Nardellos are a good pepper. Your broccoli is picture perfect. Will your Hillbilly keep those stripes when it ripens?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The jersey devil tomato looks a lot like the one I grew this year called Striped Roman. The broccoli looks wonderful. Next year I need to be more ready for a fall crop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man...just look at that broccoli! The jersey devil toms are really big, and look like they'd make good sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such gorgeous peppers and your broccoli is just fabulous. Mine is all leaves and no buds. I'm not holding my breath at this point.
    The Jersey Devils are impressive indeed. Aw, and just look at that lovely Sungold ! :) I can't wait to try Sungold next year. Just 10 more months as Daphne said, lol ! 10 more months ! Mercy !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dan, those broccoli look really good! It looks like your fall broccoli is producing well.

    Those peppers look amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. See? You didn't need to fret over your broccoli after all. It looks fantastic. I'm still getting sideshoots off my spring broccoli, albeit puny ones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Outstanding broccoli harvest! Could you refresh my memory what variety it is?

    Others have already said it - but those Jersey Devil paste tomaotes are darn impressive looking. Are they as good tasting as they are good looking?

    ReplyDelete
  10. That broccoli is amazing! I struggle to keep all sorts of critters off mine the whole year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Jersey Devils are whoppers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It all looks so delicious! Those tomatoes are great, a few of those and the saucepot will be full!!

    ReplyDelete