Sunday, May 10, 2009

Harvest Photo & Fence Update

Here is today's Mothers Day harvest, greens & the first 'Easter Egg' radishes of the season. The greens are getting pretty big, last week a pile of greens like this weighted an ounces and this week they weighted two ounces. I have been building the fence all weekend so dinner was not very extravagant but the salad was great.

Here is a photo of what the weekend was spent doing. I managed to complete the parts of the fence I planned on so I am happy about that. I installed the top 2x4 framing and rough graded the ground below the fence. All that is left to do is add the bottom 2x4, install a 2x6 arbor at the end where the gate will be and build the gate. Then in a week or two the fence boards will be ordered and installed.

Between the top 2x4's I will be installing vertical 2x2's to form the appearance of 3 small squares at the top and one large square at the bottom. This will replicate the window design on the house. Once this section is done I will procced with building the fence around the whole yard. One other project for this area is a small deck where the red gravel is currently. It will be used for a small sitting area just outside the back door and a spot to have the grill. Not sure when I will get to that one but it will be some time this season.

Tomorrow I will post about the new raised beds.

12 comments:

  1. those are some cute radishes! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good! I like the fence. I bought some radishes that looked like that at the farmer's market on Sat. They were yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you are making the design of the fence replicate elements of design in your house. That really makes for a polished look. Well done!

    The harvest looks quite yum. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. That harvest looks great! I wish I liked radishes just so I could grow some like that. I'm a newcomer to the gardening and blogging world, but I've been reading your blog for the past month. I love what you're doing. It's an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That fence is going to be a triumph Dan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like it will be a beautiful fence from both sides.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow good job with the fence! And yummy looking harvest too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The salad was very good....the radishes were sweet...
    The fence is looking good...I can hardly wait until it is done...with the deck by the back door..... will be so nice... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Playing catch up a bit today. Everything is looking great! You are so on the ball with planting, the fence and the poly tunnel! All looking wonderful and cant wait to see what else you have in store for us... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all the comments, your feedback is much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to see the fence when you finish it! Great description and that is so neat that you are tying in the design of the fence to the design of the windows on the house... now that is cool!

    Nice looking harvest you have there for a salad :-) The first harvest always make the best tasting salads LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Judy - I am hoping to have the fence done in a week or two. I can't wait to see it done either.

    ReplyDelete