Over the last couple days I harvested my potato bin in stages. The potatoes grew alright this season but did end up dieing from late blight. Once I noticed the blight I removed all the plant material and placed it in the garbage.
Here is a photo of the few potatoes that developed at the top of the bin. It was said that late season varieties will produce potatoes along their stem and they did. With that said the tubers near the surface were rather small and there was not a whole lot of them.
Here is my final harvest, a messily 6lb 10oz. I think I may have used more food energy harvesting these potatoes then the potatoes produced! Will I bin again, definitely not. It takes an enormous amount of soil and work to fill. Then once you harvest the bin the soil can not be used for the bin again because of disease problems. My bin will not go to waste though, it will be recycled into a much needed composter.
Up coming post will be an update on my blight problem and an update on my fall crops.
14 hours ago