Thursday, May 21, 2009

Thurdays Garden Meal

On today's garden menu is White Pizza. If you are just checking in every Thursday I try to make a meal that uses garden produce well excluding store bought produce & for the most part meat. So here we go:

The Harvest

First I harvested way to much spinach and there is at least this much more in the garden that needs harvesting. The left over as well as what is still in the garden will be blanched and froze tomorrow. I then harvested another immature garlic. You may think this is garlic sacrilege but I planted them to closely. Thinning them now will allow the other bulbs to grow larger plus it is kind of nice to have fresh garlic when needed.

The Recipe
  • Pizza Dough (homemade or store bought)
  • garlic
  • 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
  • mozzarella cheese
  • couple handfuls of spinach
  • ricotta
  • Parmesan cheese
Start by pre-heating your oven to its highest setting, I used 525f. Now clean the spinach, remove the stems and then dry the leaves. Then stretch your dough to form the pizza. Once that is done chop the garlic finely and mix with the butter or oil. Then spread this mixture on the dough. Top that with grated mozzarella cheese, followed by the spinach and then add spoon fulls of ricotta on the top. Place it on a pizza stone or sheet pan and bake until brown and cooked through. Serve with a sprinkling of Parmesan.

This was the first time trying a white pizza so I was a bit hesitant but it did turn out very nice. The carnivore in me wanted grilled chicken on top but then it wouldn't be a garden meal anymore, ho-hum.

13 comments:

  1. That looks scrummy! (scrumptious and yummy!) I may do a homemade garden pizza tomorrow night for dinner. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good! We're overdue for homemade pizza. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cut it out. You're going to make me blow my diet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good to me. I'm waiting for the bell peppers and sweet onions for my favorite meatless pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks wonderful. I love a garlicky, cheesy, spinachy pizza. I don't think it needs any meat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man... I'm hungry!! That looks so good! I've never made homemade pizza before but now I will have to try it. No spinach growing now (too hot) but I will definitely have some again this fall :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog is such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pizza in our family is strange. I want veggies on mine and don't like meat on a pizza. My husband wants meat on his pizza and wouldn't eat a veggie to save his life. My daughter only eats cheese. Sigh. At least with homemade pizzas you can make individual ones. Of course I like mine with WW flour. My husband likes his white .. . Yours looks yummy. I could go for one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yuuuuuummmm. There was a pizza kitchen by a place we lived once that made pizza like this. . . thin, crispy crust and so much garlic!

    If green garlic is the result of too close planting, you're on to something good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love homemade pizzas. There is nothing better than fresh ingredients on a pizza. This looks delicious. I may have to make a pizza today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wonderful! I love bringing the garden into the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete