It seems the later in spring we go the busier things are getting. With all this work though it should pay off in dividends once we near the end of June. This weekends garden related tasks were:
First thing Saturday I put the Tomatoes & Peppers in the poly tunnel and notice the first tomato of the season. Mister early tomato might just pan out. I will be putting everything out in the poly tunnel now that is under the grow light. I have been bring them inside at night, hopefully our night time temps warn up soon as it is a pain moving 8 flats of plants.
I then used up the remaining rhubarb in an Upside Down Rhubarb Cake, The recipe can be found here. The only thing I changed was adding strawberries to the mix.
I planted the seeded Yellow Onions & Shallots. I planted them in blocks, Eliot Coleman style, 4 to a hole with each block of 4 being spaced 12" apart. I then direct seeded early wonder beets, chioggia beets & atomic red carrots in between the onions. The end lettuce is Yugoslavian Red lettuce planted out from the cold frame.
The last garden task was finishing rough digging all the new raised beds by removing 12" of soil. All that is left to do now is finish any final adjustments on the framing and level off the bottoms to an even 12". I will refill hopefully this week with trucked in triple mix.
After all that the rest of the weekend was spent cleaning out the basement for the arrival of the water meter mover guy on Monday. The basement has been a disaster ever since we renovated the house, there was basically only pathways down there. It was a lot of work but had to be done to be able to move the meter reader out of my veggie patch.
Here it is tucked up against the front porch hand rail. Now there will be no more stepping on my beautiful soil to read it. It will also provides much better access to read it during the winter months.
23 hours ago