Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Plant and Seed Inventory

This year I have started seedings indoors as well as outdoors and I have purchased cold seasons crops as transplants from the nursery.

Next year I want to build a cold frame so I can start my own cold season crops and to make hardening off my indoor seedlings a lot easier with less trips in and out of the basement.

I ordered most of my seeds from the Seeds Savers Exchange, I have been order from them for 3 season this being the first season that I ordered more then just heirloom tomato seed. I think it is really important that there are organizations that are saving old varieties of seed that would other wise be lost in this world of uniform, hybridized and at times genetically modified crops. Not to mention that heirloom varieties taste better, I am will to accept the fact that the plants may be more prone to disease or insects.



Seeds I have sown indoors in April:

  • Tomato's:
Moonglow
Hillbilly Potato Loaf
Cherokee Purple
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Japanese Trifele Black
  • King of the North Pepper
  • Eggplant's:
Vittoria Long Italian
Rosa Bianca

Seeds I have sown outdoors in the raised beds:

  • Dragon Carrot (purple with orange interior)
  • Romaine Lettuce
  • French Radish
  • Beets
Cylindria
Chioggia
  • Green Arrow Peas
Seeds to be sown outdoors after last frost:

  • Marrow Squash Zucchini (not sure were I have space for these)
  • Sieva Lime Beans
  • Pole Beans
  • Double Yield Cucumber
  • Red Fingerling Potato
  • White PEI Potato
  • Jamaican Sweet Potato (a bit of an experiment, they are purple skinned)
Plants I have purchase as transplants:

  • Onions:
Yellow
Red
Large Sweet White
  • Broccoli
  • Cabbage
  • Brussel Sprouts
  • Butter Crunch Lettuce
  • Celery
  • Chocolate Peppers(to be planted)
  • Yellow Banana Peppers(to be planted)
Everything that has been sown indoors and outdoor is doing really well and the transplants you can almost watch grow. All the work and triple mix is really going to pay off with very strong plants this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment