Monday, October 26, 2009

Fall Crops Part I

I am going to update on the fall crops over the next week or so in stages so please keep checking in. Today's post will be devoted entirely to the fall crops that Daphne shared seed for. She shared 'Bright Lights' Chard and Tatsoi and they are both coming into their prime now.


I started these chard plants in the spring and they are just starting to bulk up now. They should be a lot larger but the leaf miner was so bad this year it really set them back. Now that the leaf miner is gone they have really started to grow. I have plans for these, Swiss Chard Risotto and Steamed Chard to name a few.


These three Tatsoi I started in August and it looks like they have been enjoying the cool damp fall weather. I will be harvesting these any day now and it will be my first taste. I grew some this spring but they bolted soon after planting. These will be going into noodle soup and stir fry, probably tomorrow.

8 comments:

  1. Love the rainbow chard! I do wish they could create a blue one, then the whole rainbow would be represented

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the bright light swiss chard. It's a staple in my garden now because of it's attractiveness, hardiness, and excellent taste. It's a trifecta winner!

    I have never tried Tatsoi but it looks like a nice work horse green for the cool seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!! Those meals you have planned sound great!
    I'm just beginning to appreciate swiss chard. I love that it's beautiful to look at as well as tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love chard. Great idea for risotto. I'm going to have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dan - your swiss chard and tatsoi look great! My chard is still tiny (as I sowed it about a month ago)and my tatsoi (after being plagued by pests) are starting to pick up steam now. I've never had tatsoi myself. Let us know how it tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you finally got some tatsoi. I so love it in soups. Yum. I like the really dark chard plant too. None of mine got that dark. All the leaves are greener. Only the stems are a major color change.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your veggie garden looks so good, as always. At the farm, the swiss chard was amazing, I am going to grow some in my garden this year!

    ReplyDelete