Friday, April 23, 2010

Onions planted

Here are all the seeded onions just before transplant. They were started Jan 22 and have been out in the polytunnel for about a month now.

I went kind of crazy with my ruler and some cardboard to make this planting jib. The thick lines are 9 per sqf and the thin lines are 16 per sqf. I just simply stuck a pencil in the corresponding hole to mark out all the planting positions. When the garden is in and I have more time I will make some wooden ones.

Here they are all planted out 9 per sqf using the jig. It worked pretty well and certainly speed the process up. The pencil made a perfect hole that the onion seedlings were planted right into. In total I planted out 84 onions in the photo above as well as 13 multiplier onions in another area. Here are all the varieties I am trying:

Utah Sweet Spanish Onions from seed shared by Hometown Seeds

Red Long of Tropea Onions from seed shared by Daphne

Amish Bottle Onions

Dutch Sets

Red Onion Sets

Multiplier Onions

Lastly these are onions from last fall. I had a few to small to
harvest so I planted them out together before the ground froze.
They have sized up nicely and will be used as green onions.

15 comments:

  1. I like the creativity on the planting jig. I'm still planting things "freestyle"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your planting jig is a great idea! I better get out and plant my onions today. I have been hesitating, this is the first time that I planted them from seed. They look like yours...so I guess it's Ok to put them in the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used the low tech solution for planting out onions this year. The distance between my thumb and forefinger is 6" so I used that for my multiplanted onions. A jig would be so nice though. Easier and more uniform.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cool planting jig. I tend to do as Daphne does for planting. My rows will stay nice and neat for a while and then go all wonky. They look so pretty when they're neat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dan as usual I am impressed by the detail and time you spend on the garden. With our early spring garden weather hopefully the crops will be abundant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had frost yesterday morning but I think we can finally plant stuff outside. I'm going to start with some leeks and Datura! The jig is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love a beautifully planted onion patch. Something so inviting about onions - probably the result of my inclination to use them in almost everything I cook! They are highly appreciated around my homestead.

    The planting jig is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. clever plant spacing mat, and a nice way to reuse cardboard...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like you I got creative with cardboard this winter. I used the bottom and top of pizza boxes which are just a little bit bigger than 12 sq in (at least the large size box is), and cut it to size. So every time my hubby wanted to order pizza I said sure (grin). I have one with 16 holes in it , one with 9, another with four and one with just one. I made the holes fairly large and just use a dibbler which I made from a cut off walking stick I bought from the dollar store and had hubby sharpen to a point. Works just great. I figured I couldn't just ask hubby to make one more thing for me this year (after him making two polytunnels and helping me put in 6 more beds) so if the pizza boxes don't hold up I'm hoping I can convince him to make me a couple of jigs next winter. Maybe for Xmas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice variety of onions Dan and I like your jib idea...very cool. : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea! Good way to maximize the growing space. I love all the great idea's I get from reading others blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The jig seems to be working really well... :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now I feel like I should have made better use of my garden space and planted them closer together. Oh well, I guess you learn from watching others with more experience right?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm very interested in how you Amish bottle onions do this year....great looking beds

    ReplyDelete
  15. All these garden blogs have opened up a new door. i wonder how this will effect what my garden looks like and how I grow things.

    ReplyDelete