The last week or so I am been trying to get the yard cleaned up before the dreaded white stuff arrives. The day length really becomes evident when you are trying to get things done, many of the tasks have been done well chasing the sun down. There is lots of photos today so I will try to keep the gab to a minimum:
I have rounded up all the pots that were in the patch, seems like alot when grouped together. They will be cleaned out tomorrow hopefully and stored in the shed. I also need to get my cement pots cleaned and stored as well so they don't crack.
I transplanted a bunch of stuff into the half barrel, they include thyme, parsley, sage, oregano and four full heart batavian.
After planting, the barrel got its signature ET look which should keep things growing over the winter. Herbs in February anyone? I have held the plastic in place with a ratchet strap from the truck well leaving a section unstrapped for access. The access flap is then held down with a binder clip.
Thought I would share a photo of the parsley roots well transplanting them. These are hamburg parsley that grow an edible root as well as foliage. It is said to be similar to celeriac roots, I will eat them up early next spring and comment on the taste.
There was some mini romaine growing out in the open that needed a little more growing time so I transplanted them into the cedar poly tunnel. I hope to harvest these soon, a new years salad would be nice!
I wrecked my mower today. I was mowing up leaves and found a big rock that was just below the lawn. The blade is bent really bad so it will have to be replaced. I may replace the whole mower as this one never likes to start. Something that drives itself would be nice...... I can always dream. So after that incident:
I had to start collecting leaves in ol'wheely. The leaves are all collected now and................
they nicely filled the leaf composter again. Now I will let the rain and worms do their work.
I have been thinking my late planted parsnips were not going to amount to much because their foliage volume was so low. Today I got my finger in there and it would appear there are some pretty nice sized roots growing. I will be harvesting them just before the ground freezes solid.
The wee tatsoi has started to grow with the new cover. I hope to harvest a nice large head in time to plant more next spring.
I have also cleared everything from the garden that is either not alive or is not going to make it. I am all out of composter room so I have started to store material in this garbage can. I need another composter next spring!
All the perennials have been stored in the new poly tunnel for over wintering. This is what happens when the garden center clears things out in August.
And finally...... here is a photo of the garden mostly cleared out. The only things left that are not under cover are radishes, broccoli & lettuces. Everything will soon be harvested and the garden will be empty asides from the season extenders. I need to get that hose reel in the house too... my list is still growing.
23 hours ago