Thursday, December 10, 2009

Cider Jelly Recipes

Last Sunday I cooked up two batches of cider jelly. First time making cider jelly, it turns out it's quite a nice spread and is easy to make as the fruit comes already as juice.

Dan's Reduced Cider, Honey Jelly

*makes 9 250ml (1/2 pint) jars
4L (1gal) Cider, reduced to 5 cups
2 cups dark honey
5 1/2 white sugar
1/2 tsp butter (reduces foaming)
1 pouch certo liquid pectin

I adapted this recipe so I called it my own. Traditional cider jelly is reduced 9 times until it naturally turns to jelly were as modern cider jelly is just cider with sugar & pectin added. I went for the best of both worlds and started by reducing the cider and then adding sugar/pectin. The recipe follows:

Add your cider to a large pot, place on high and boil until it reduces to approx. 5 cups. This can take a while depending on your burner strength, about 45 minutes. Stir occasionally so it does not burn on the bottom. Well boiling apple pulp will cook out, skim it off and compost it. Once reduced pour the juice through a sieve lined with cheese cloth to remove any apple pulp missed by the skimming.

With the now reduced juice measure exactly 5 cups of juice and pour it into your large pot. Add honey, sugar and butter. Bring to a full rolling boil that is not stopped by stirring. Once the boil is reached add the pectin and boil for 1 minute well stirring.

Remove from the heat, skim off any foam and pour into hot sterilized jars leaving a 1/8" head space. Place the lids on and hot water bath for 10 minutes.

The end product is a very tangy sweet cider jelly with a pretty up front honey flavor. Good used as a spread but also equally as nice for glazing meats, adding to baked goods or with cheese.

Certo Apple Jelly

*makes 4 250ml (1/2 pint) jars
recipe from Kraft Foods

2 cups apple cider (canned/bottle juice works too)
3 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp butter (reduces foaming)
1 pouch certo liquid pectin

If using cider, first bring your juice to the boil until the pulp cooks out, then pour through a sieve lined with cheese cloth. This will filter out the pulp leaving clear yellow juice. If you are using clear apple juice form the grocery store skip this stem.

Measure exactly 2 cups of juice and pour into your pot. Add sugar & butter and bring to a full rolling boil that stirring does not stop. Then add the pectin and boil for 1 minute well stirring.

Remove from heat, skim off any foam and pour into hot sterilized jars leave 1/8" head space. Place lids on and hot water bath for 10 minutes.

The end produce is a sweet apple jelly with a nice apple flavor.

cracker + double cream brie + cider jelly = bliss

11 comments:

  1. I made mulled cider jelly last and it was so good. I haven't made any yet this year. Cider season is almost over though, so if I want to I'd better get to it. Thanks for the reminder.

    I did already make my cider syrup this year though - MMMM. Boy is that good drizzled over apple pie or pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cider honey jelly looks delish! What a nice amber color. If we ever run out of plum jam, I'll have to make some :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmmm... that looks scrumptious. Ritz crackers are great with most toppings so I KNOW you had a nice snack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that looks good! Such a beautiful color and I can imagine the taste is out of this world too. My huckleberries did not produce this year (no idea why either) so I did not get to try straining/juicing them and making huckleberry jelly like I had hoped. I am pretty disappointed about it too because I rarely make Jelly and was really getting excited about the prospect. Now that I see the cider jelly I am even more inspired to make at least one jelly product next year - instead of all jams.

    p.s. the seeds arrived today and I shipped the package of Cascadia sugar snap seeds off to you today as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chiot's Run - I have never had cider syrup before. Seeing as I have gallons of cider in the freezer I should try some. Got a good recipe???

    Jackie - The cider honey one is really good, loaded with flavor. The good thing about the apple jelly is you can make them all year with good canned or bottled juice from grocery store.

    Kalena - The crackers were great, the simple things always seem to be the best.

    Kitsapfg - I'm a big jelly fan, I really don't like pieces of fruit in preserves. It seems I am in the minority though as most people like the pieces. Good to hear the seeds arrives safely. I will let you know when your seeds arrives, they already have their spot planned in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so good.I have left over cider will be trying this jelly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks delicious. If I didn't have so much apple butter in my pantry I'd try it. I'll have to remember it for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful Jelly Dan! Thanks for sharing the recipes. I've got some apples that need to be processed... will try your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dan, you're just amazing! Gosh, that jelly looks perfect (as everything you make does).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to say the jelly is outstanding... :)

    ReplyDelete