Saturday, October 17, 2009

End of Season Salsa

The last few days has brought pretty chilly nights that have had lows of + or - freezing so I have harvested all the peppers. With them all in and the last few jersey devil tomatoes ripened I decided to make my salsa that I have been planning since the start of the season. Of course my original plan was to have salsa made with 100% garden produce but it ended up only being about 60% from my garden due to blight.

For the salsa I used Jersey Devil tomatoes, Roma tomatoes(store bought), Ancho peppers, Jimmy Nardello peppers, Poblano peppers, Purple peppers (seed from Granny ) & Red onions (store bought). Here goes the recipe:

Shelf Safe Garden Salsa

5 pounds paste type tomatoes, thick diced
2 cans tomato paste (adds a deeper tomato taste, can be omitted if you like)
1 pound onions, diced
2 pounds peppers, hot or mild, thick diced
1 cup fresh squeezed lime juice (vinegar works to)
3 tablespoons pickling salt
1 tablespoon cumin
1/2 cup sugar
8 500ml jars (pint jars) w/ two piece lids

Place all the ingredients into a large pot and bring to the boil. Once the boil is reached, simmer for ten minutes

Ladle the salsa into hot sterilized jars leaving 1/2 inch head space. Clean the top edge of the jar and tighten the two piece lid on. Place the jars in boiling water bath for 15 minutes. Then remove and cool on a dish cloth.

Place the cooled jars in a cool, dark, dry place. Once opened the salsa can be stored in the fridge for at least a week.

10 comments:

  1. Dan, that is some good looking salsa you got there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really good Dan! I need to get my act together and learn how to can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how colorful the salsa is! I bet that'll be a nice treat in the dead of winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so good. I really regret having all my salsa frozen. You can't see the pretty jars then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks so good! You are always so well set up for the winter with all your canning and are so inspiring to me that you can enjoy the garden inside even when there is snow outside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful work Dan! I am going to snag this recipe and add it to my salsa recipe collection. It is similar to another one that I like very much. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm thinking nachos right now ... Mmmmm.
    Lovely ! Thx for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like a healthy amount of salsa, good for a year! I have never made a salsa recipe that requires boiling. I could never freeze or store salsa, probably for that reason. Just had to eat it within a week or 2 and make more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great haul! I'm salivating reading this post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dan! I love salsa and yours looks amazing! Good job this year.

    ReplyDelete