Monday, January 19, 2009

What I Use For A Grow Light

My grow light of choice for the last few years has been a 400 watt metal halide grow light. It is part of the high intensity discharge family of lamps and operates by sending an electric arc through a tube of mixed gases. They operate by using a ballast and an ignitor to pulse the current to start the lamp. These two components are usually housed separately from the fixture in a metal box. With these lamps you have many options for reflectors. I use a parabolic shade which evenly distributes the light over the area. Now that I have confused most people including myself, here is what it looks like:

The corner of the basement that I use for plants

This is the bulb with some distortion from the flash.

The fixture hangs from a hook that is screwed
into blocking attached to the floor joists. Then the
shade & hanging chains are all attached to the junction box.

This is the remote ballast box.

My current bulb produces 36,000 lumens and consumes 400 watts of power. This compared to a typical 48", 40watt fluorescent bulb which produces approx. 3200 lumens well consuming 40 watts. In other words it would take 11.25 four foot, 40watt fluorescent bulbs to replace the one 400 watt metal halide lamp. A metal halide lamp is by far the most efficient light source per watt and this is why they are used in most retail & commercial settings for lighting.

The main purpose for this light is to over winter plants that I grow outside. I have so many that if I did not have this light I would have plants in every window of the house. It is also a great source of light for growing seeds so it is a win win situation. If I was just using this grow light to start seedlings I would probably go with a 250watt metal halide which would be more then sufficient to cover a 3 foot by 3 foot area and would cut the power use almost by half.

I think the adjustable shelves I added this season will work really well. Previously I was using some rickety wood tables that I threw together and then used an assortment of boxes and crates to position things. I almost knocked by seedlings over a few times so this set up should be much better.

All I have to do is get all the plants under the light and get my onion seeds planted. My next two post will be about starting the onion seeds and showing what plants I over winter. Click this link to see what I have overwintering under the light.

17 comments:

  1. Dan - now that's some serious lumens! I have a 400 watt metal halide at work, that i'm using right now. I'm very interested in seeing how your plants thrive under that much light, way to go!

    EG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of light that's for sure. I have had this light for 3 or 4 years now and it works great. It produces plants that are almost as good as green house grown ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my 400 watt metal halide as well. It will illuminate from a 2x2' to a 4x4' area depending on how many lumens your plants require at the time.

    There are also ceramic metal halide lamps which use the same ballast, but provide more lumens and a better spectrum. They are kind of spendy, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! If I had the space I would get one of these to also overwinter my outside plants, like geraniums and angel trumpets and so on. That is so much light compared to my little 4 ft shop lights. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a bit envious of your basement and light! I am lucky enough to have a few things in the guest room behind closed doors, secure from my kitties. A basement and light would be wonderful to have though. I wish we had electricity to our shed but no such luck. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Dan...I can't even pronounce most of that stuff! Very nice setup.

    Granny

    ReplyDelete
  7. Red Icculus - The 'knock' area in the basement that I use is just about 5'x5'. It has work well with the light. I think I need a new bulb soon, I have used it for 4-5 years now. How long do they last?

    Tina - They do work very well but definitely take up a lot of space. You can get ones with much smaller shade though so they take up much less room.

    Skeeter - Basements are nice and in the north you have to have them so the frost does not shift your house. Our basement is a big, jumbled mess. If I did not zoom in to take the picture of the grow area it would have been pretty scary looking.

    Granny - Thanks, it certainly does the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a setup! That's alot of light. I can see why your seedlings do so well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Judy - The seedlings sure love the light, you could almost mistake it for the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The light manufacturers say they start losing lumens after about 6 months. I have had mine for a year and a half and just started noticing it isn't quite as bright as it was. I am definitely going to invest in a ceramic metal halide when I can!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Red Icculus - sounds like I should be looking for a new bulb soon then. I have been eying the white coated ones, they are supposed to have a fuller spectrum without all the extra $$$.

    ReplyDelete
  12. And now the bills will start.... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have nominated your blog for the love blog award.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow...that's quite a setup! I bet it really helps with the seedlings.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Parsec - It is a good set up, it would be better if it was in a backyard greenhouse though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice set-up. I'll be headed in that direction myself someday. Mostly I need a spot I could put one of those more than anything else. My wife complains about the amount of light my 150w HPS and 105w (500w equivalent) CFL put out.

    I keep them in the closet to block the light but any more power in there and I'd cook the plants with the waste heat.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hydroponica - Thanks, the light has served me well. They do certainly take up a lot of space and produce a lot of heat. Of course there is always the air cooled shades but they get complicated and very expensive. I am lucky to have this perfect spot in the basement in the corner, with a corresponding closet to help control the light. This room is just a storage/junk/filing cabinet room so the excess light is not too bothersome.

    ReplyDelete