Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Niagara Falls Visit

__________________________________________
I have lots to post about this weeks so keep checking back. First post this week will be about a veggie garden in Niagara falls. Then the recipe for raw sauce which I am just finishing tonight. I am also doing a harvest post this week. Busy time of year!
__________________________________________

Over the long weekend I was in Niagara Falls, ON to watch and photograph the fireworks show. They have fireworks every Friday & Sunday over the summer and this was the last weekend of the schedule. Well waiting for the show to start we stop in at the Niagara Parks Botanical Garden which is on the Niagara Parkway and I might add that it is FREE including parking.

I knew that a portion of the garden is a vegetable garden so I set out to find it. Once I found it I notice that it had changed a lot from the last time I saw it and for the better. It is the poshest vegetable garden I have every seen.

Below is a series of photos of the garden followed by a few misc. photos of the night. Enjoy!


I like this idea, they grew tomatoes up one of those curly metal stakes. Think I may try this next year.






farm impalement sculpture



basil clipped into a hedge



_____________________________________________________



Niagara SkyWheel, Clifton Hill


Niagara SkyWheel, Clifton Hill


America's Niagara Falls, lite very well


Canada's Niagara Falls, the mist makes the lights not work as well. I actually watched a program that said all the tall buildings that have been built on the cliff have changed the air flow causing much more mist.

13 comments:

  1. Wonderful photos, especially of Niagara Falls! Did you use a tripod?

    That garden really does look great...I can smell that basil!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used a tripod for all the photo's asides from the day light ones. Some of them exposed for almost 60 seconds.

    The basil did smell good, it was the first time I had seen basil grown as a hedge, very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are great photos. I loved seeing all those pumpkins and tomatoes.

    Niagra Falls photos were beautiful. I wanna go now! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that is an immaculate garden. I wonder who gets to reap the produce.

    ReplyDelete
  5. dp- they did have some very nice pumpkins and I was tempted to eat some of those tomatoes.

    emily - I was wondering the same thing, who gets to eat it all. The garden, which is a very large area including many different sections, is tended to by the Niagara Parks School of Horticulture. I think they must reap some of the rewards and there is also a restaurant and butterfly conservatory on the property so maybe they consume some too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dan you couldn't have been in a better spot for those fire works! lol good job nice pic's

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures as always on your trips. The lighting of the falls and fireworks is awesome! You did a great job of capturing this for us to see...

    We have the curly posts for our tomatoes. We used them in our gardens in Germany and they made the trip to the USA with us. They are great as you use just trail the plant as it grows.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great Dan, boy was I drooling over that space! They did a great job on the garden. And great shots of downtown and the ferris wheel!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The only bad thing I have to say about the veggie garden is "too much grass!"

    They could get a lot more veggies if there wasn't so much lawn. But of course it does look extra tidy that way.

    I love the Basil Hedge, that's just hilarious.

    I wonder what kind of compost/fertilizer they use there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michelle (aka my sister) - It was the best place to view them but not so much on the ears.

    Skeeter - Glade you enjoy my photos. I have seen these stakes at lee valley but thought they are just used for beans. I am defiantly going to give them a try next year on my tom's.

    Sin - oh how I wish I had that much space too, although then I would need a gardener to help I think.

    killerm8r - They did have allot of grass but even with the grass it was still pretty huge veggie patch. I was actually kind of surprised there was no sign saying what compost, technic's etc that they use seeing as it is a tourist attraction.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The photos all turned out great..The fire works was really good..even though it just about gave me a heart attack when they went off right in front of us... It was worth the all day walking... LOL ....

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is the most beautiful and functional veggie garden I have seen! I got excited about this post as our family has recently discovered Niagara Falls. We stop there on our way to Maine from Tennessee and have enjoyed each and every visit. The weather is very different from here. Very nice pictures of fireworks.

    ReplyDelete