Monday, August 29, 2011

Harvest Monday

This weeks Harvest Monday includes the following:
  • Two Roman Candle tomatoes, grown from seed shared by EG
  • Two Feuerwerk tomato
  • Two Mortgage Lifter tomatoes (Excellent tomato, the one is the size of two hands!)
  • A bunch of Japanese Black Trifele tomatoes
  • Two Cherokee Purple tomatoes
  • One Pink Berkley Tie Dye tomato
  • A bunch of Velvet Red cherry tomatoes
  • Three small heads of my funny looking broccoli
  • Three Adam's Gherkin cucumbers
  • A couple handfuls of Dragon Tongue beans
The garden has really started coming into its prime now. It has been a long wait but at least it is starting to pay off. Next week should bring some potatoes, peppers & green pole beans. The pole beans have taken ages, I planted them at the end of May and they are just starting to set now! Good thing gardening teaches patience.....

15 comments:

  1. Perseverance is what I'm learning from gardening. I just keep at it, and at it... I'm still impatient about the danged tomatoes, when will mine start to ripen for goodness sakes???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our tomatoes are really slow to ripen this year which has its benefits in that they are ripening in manageable amounts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some tasty looking tomatoes! Everything was very late for us this year too. In fact, I am not going to get any winter squash because the plants took too long to get growing and basically have run out of time for producing harvestable/mature fruit. It's sad really but not much to be done about it. My pole beans are just now flowering and setting beans too. Worse, I lost about 2/3rds of them to bugs so I will be getting a minimal harvest from them. I guess something is better than nothing though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember that coming into the prime thing. My garden is fading fast. I think Irene didn't help it out much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful harvest. Expecially the variety of tomatoes. Everything seems so much later this season than others. I am just beginning to accumulate enough tomatoes to make a sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What gorgeous tomatoes! Congrats on your harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice harvest(s) Dan ! Looks like you've had a good year. Gorgeous photography, as always. Enjoying your bird pics (on flickr) very much !

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice garden make me interested to make garder at my home

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those Japanese black trifele tomatoes are so prolific. My plants are weighed down with such a heavy crop!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great lay out on your vegetable basket. What beautiful color on your veggies. Any specific soil used to bring such firm and juicy looking tomatoes?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dan, I've just picked and photographed my first ever Hillbilly tomato. I agree with your comments on a previous blog, they are truly wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nothing like home grown veggies, my grandmother and dad use a book that is published each year, called the Blumes Almanac tells you when the best time to plant

    ReplyDelete
  13. Where are you Dan? it's been a while since you blogged. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your blog and garden. You've inspired me to try a few new plants!
    Cullen
    www.andtophertoo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete