Monday, September 27, 2010

Harvest Monday

For this weeks harvest monday I have a bunch of roots crops and some other warm season crops. We are starting to have much cooler weather now compared to last week, definitely more fall like.

I dug the last of the potatoes, there was about this many already harvested this season. Not a lot but potatoes never seem to produce much in my garden. To much summer heat I think. In the mix are Alaska Sweetheart (red skin, pink flesh), Purple Viking (purple skin, white flesh) and Pacific Russet.

I also dug all the spring planted carrots. The parsnips were completely covering them so they had to be pulled. Next season I need to grow the carrots elsewhere, parsnips just grow way to big. In the mix here are Amarillo (yellow), Purple Dragon (reddish) and Scarlet Nantes (orange).

Here we have a bunch of tomatoes, they are just about finished up now. There also are a few Double Yield cucumbers. I think I am going to try an all female cucumber next year. This variety is just not producing much, probably a pollination issue. Also in the mix are a few Purple Sprouting broccoli florets.

I'll ends things off with the last of the dry pole beans. It is a mix of Borlotto Lingua di Fuoco & True Red Cranberry beans. There also are a few Purple Podded pole beans that I am letting dry. Once shelled they filled two dinner plates.

21 comments:

  1. An all-female cucumber? I'd love to try that as pollination's definitely an issue for me too - and I have bees like 30 feet from the cuke patch. What varieties would you suggest?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your potatoes and carrots sure come out of the garden clean. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is quite the harvest! I love the colors of the carrots and potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That potato harvest looks so colorful and rich! I can't wait to see how you use thtem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice collection. I have stayed away from potatoes because I do not have a good place to store them but your colors are making me think twice

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely mix of colors and veggies. It amazes me what you grow in your small space.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great harvest, Dan! The potatoes look awesome. I had cucumber issues as well this year. The plants produced well but only for a month or so. Then the dreaded cucumber beetles took over.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking harvest!

    I too would like to know what cucumber variety you will try next year (all female), as we consistently have a poor crop here.

    Next year am going to try trellising them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a bit sad to see things come to and end for another season. Until you start to plan for next year... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Colour is definitely a plus in vegetables. Coloured veg are good for you! Well done. Your beans have been amazing this year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I guess your all female cucumber would've been a good match for my all male cucumbers. Oh, well, some times this cucurbits just don't want to reproduce.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm amazed by the varieties and colors - what a neat harvest! I really like your pictures, they look so effortless!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH I am jealous! nothing better than fresh potatoes! Except maybe fresh carrots...or tomatoes...or cukes...ooh just forget it! You sure are fortunate to have such a delightful harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Dan, I'm a new follower to your blog and I have to say its providing some great inspiration for the comming Australina summer in my veggie garden! Bring on the sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The color variation of your potatoes, carrots and dry beans are really stunning. I've never seen non-orange carrots in person. Do those red and yellow ones taste similar to the orange ones?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your harvest looks a lot like mine. So what can I do with a small number of dried hops? Anything?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I grow the all female cukes. I really like them especially early in the year as the bees just don't seem to do their job well then. I hand pollinate my zukes at that point, but at least I don't have to mess with the tiny cucumber flowers. Some year I may go back, but for now it is what I grow. I do miss saving seed from them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The harvest is plentiful, colorful, and tasty looking! The double yeild cucumbers I grew from the seed you sent me is just now producing fruit! My old standby Alibi produced admirably despite our rather crappy summer weather this year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You've had a good harvest by the looks of it. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow! you have a bountiful harvest.. No need to go the market to buy some veggies cause you have those beautiful veggies in your garden.

    ReplyDelete