Sunday, September 5, 2010

Harvest Monday

Dug these up for Sundays dinner, some spuds & parsnips. This weekend was really cold, like 18c(64f) so I made stew. Strange weather, last week was over 30c (90f) and really cold right after.

Here is what else came in Sunday. The Purple Sprouting Broccoli made its first appearance. I am hoping for lots more from them during the cooler months. The storms this weekend snapped off a few peppers so they came in a little early. The cucumbers are still coming in nicely too, they took for ever to start producing this year. For tomatoes this week we have, Kellogg's Breakfast, Giant Belgium, Pink Berkley Tye Dye, Green Zebra, Monomakh's Hat & Velvet Red.

Here is yet another weeks worth of dry beans. The dry beans are coming near the end though. All the bush varieties are done now and the Trail of Tears (black ones) are pretty much done too. The True Red Cranberry & Boriotto above still have many pods that have yet to mature.

I harvested another variety of hops this weekend as well, this one is Nugget. It is used to bitter beer were as the variety I harvested a few weeks back is used to give the beer aroma/flavor. There also is a Goldings variety growing but it only produced a couple hops. Hopefully next year it will put on a better crop. If you would like to see some of my beer brewing check out my other blog: Daniel's Home Brew

14 comments:

  1. So much, and so much variety. I agree -- with the wacky weather ups and downs, I never know if it's going to be a cold salad or stew for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had strange weather ups and downs out this way as well. It shortened my growing season quite a bit. I'm hoping it will stay strange and give me a bit of an extended Summer... hope, hope, hope >.<

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the problem with our weather, too. We don't gradually get hot or cold. It happens over night.

    The hops harvest looks great! Do you get enought to do a batch, or do you still need to suppliment?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hops look as great as last time ! Interesting how they play different roles in flavouring. The beans are just beautiful. My PSB did not take off at all this season. Germination was excellent on the Happy Rich you sent me. Can't wait to sample. Nice harvest !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful basket of veggies. I love all the different tomatoes you are getting all at once. I'm not growing any large orange or yellow ones this year. I keep debating about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful harvests. The beans look especially good. I need to plant more dried beans next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't realize those parsnips grew so long. I bet they were delicious in stew! Hops, dried beans, and all those other summer veggies, you do really have a nice variety of harvest this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My whole summer has been comrpised of "whacky weather"... makes for some challenging gardening! It is very fall like here this week. Rainy, cool, and the leaves are starting to come off of some of the trees already (what is up with that?!). Your parsnip and potatoes for stew sounds like a great idea. I may steal it and make that for dinner tonight. Interesting to read and learn about the hops too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you let your bean pods dry on the vine before you remove the beans, or do you pick the large pods, then let them dry? I checked my Trail of Tears, and the beans are black and plump, but the pods are still rather soft.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your tomatoes caught my eye. So many interesting shapes and sizes.

    I'm embarrassed to say, I only know the names of two types: Cherry Tomatoe and Beefsteak.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Dan It certainly was a cool and windy weekend.Amazing crop of veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dan, how do you know when hops are ripe to pick? I've found some in a hedgerow and don't know when they will be ready to pick. I am going to make a 'hop pillow' to aid sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't wait to try the purple sprouting broccoli next year. You'll have to tell us how it tastes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have a harvest of many of those same things - although less dry beans - I din't think I'll bother with them next year and use the space for snap beans.

    ReplyDelete