Sunday, November 17, 2013

Fall Happenings

The garden is just about rapped up for the year. We had out first killing frost on Nov 5th and I cleared and amended the garden shortly after. I think my soil is getting a little low on nutrients so I spread leaf mold compost this fall and will spread bagged manure in the spring. The only things remaining in the garden are the polytunnel (chinese celery, bok choy, tatsoi and shallots), two rutabaga and perennial herbs.
I took advantage of some nice fall weather last Friday and planted the garlic. This year I am mainly growing Music shown in the top two photos. It grows very well and produces very large cloves. It is also easy to locate, I got mine at the farmers market, $4 bucks for about 50 cloves. The red skinned garlic above are Wildfire & Burgundy. I grew them both this year and they didn't really size up well. I am hoping they will do better next season.

5 comments:

  1. I planted my garlic last month, and the squirrels dug most of it up last week. I had to replant a lot of it, then I put about 3" of leaves over the top of the bed, so maybe the squirrels will stop digging. This is the first year I've had a problem with them bothering my plants. They even dug up several newly planted raspberry canes! I'll probably be growing a forest of walnut trees in my garden next year :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our garlic is now shooting so I hope it doesn't get flattened by the forecast snow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I put mine in several weeks ago. A lot of people seem to like Music but I've never tried it. Is it a good keeper?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm growing Music as well. It seems to be a fairly popular hardneck variety. I love the look of the Wildfire and Burgundy. I'm a sucker for tinted garlic clove skins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing happening in my garden this time of the year either. Might resort to blogging about 'my favourite trowel' but not just yet. Enjoying some blogs from the Southern hemisphere at the moment.

    ReplyDelete