Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The Garden in August

 
Here is the garden at present. As usual it is a solid mass of veggies this time of year. What is not common is the garden is still not very productive. In-fact this may be the worst year on record (still no tomatoes....). Likely it is due to the weather being below seasonal since the spring. So I will just take what I can this year and hope for a better yield next year. Here goes some individual photos of each bed:
Tomato & Pepper bed. The tomatoes are all green and the plants are starting to get blight. The peppers are turning colour at least.
Melons & Cucumbers. The cucumbers have been steadily producing for a few weeks. The melons are just starting to set a couple fruit now.
Rutabaga bed. I have always wanted to grow rutabaga so this year I tried out a small bed. There are about 6 of them in there. This is the type with yellow flesh and usually comes waxed in the grocery store. 
Bean bed. This year the dry beans have done well but all the other beans have not. My dragon tongue beans are just starting to produce now and the green pole beans never took hold after three planting attempts! The beans currently on the tepee are true red cranberry and trail of tears, both are dry beans. 
Broccoli bed. The broccoli has been good this year. I recently gave them a big hair cut. In a couple weeks I should be able to start harvesting again.
Late bean bed.  After harvesting the garlic I replanted the area with more dry beans. The area is kind of shady this time of year so they may or may not produce.
Pumpkin Bed. The pumpkins are just starting to produce. On the trellis are Autumn Crown (small long island cheese) and Flatso (small, orange and flattish).

16 comments:

  1. The rutabagas look like giant radishes. It all looks great, but sorry to hear that it hasn't been producing well. I've been struggling with most of my beans this year also, it's frustrating since it's usually a no-brainer veggie. Hope you get a nice warm spell to kick the garden into high gear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next week is suppose to be warm, fingers crossed. We have only had 1 week of really hot weather so far this summer.

      Delete
  2. It may not be very productive, but it looks beautiful! I picked my first two cantaloup today. Or rather they picked themselves, detaching from the vines. The flavor was disappointing. I've not been happy with any I've grown since you sent me seeds a few years ago. The flavor of those melons just ruined me for any others!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I still have some of the Charentais seed if you want to try them again next year? We have been getting them from a farm close by for a couple years now. They are even better when grown in an open field.

      Delete
    2. That would be great, Dan! Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Looks good. Hopefully production will ramp up soon
    I'm curious about your broccoli. How much did you cut them back and will they produce a second main head? This was my first time growing broccoli and after the main head and a a couple side shoots I tore them out as I didn't think I'd get anymore.

    Liveintheyard.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you cut the main head you will be able to harvest small side shoots. Once you harvest the side shoots or if they bolt you can then cut the plant way back. I left about four lower leaves. Then after a few weeks the plants will start producing side shoots again.

      Delete
  4. Everything looks lush and healthy. I bet it will take only a few dog days of summer to get your plants producing. My garden is very late this year too. Hopefully I will get some tomatoes and peppers before frost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you are in the same boat! I have enjoyed the weather this year but the garden has not. Even the annuals are legging.

      Delete
  5. No ripe tomatoes for us yet this year even though we have had a lovely June and July.

    Are the rutabagas what we call swedes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep same thing, I actually call it turnip most of the time ;)

      Delete
  6. It sure looks pretty even if it isn't producing well. I've found this year disappointing too. At least it is looking up as the corn and melon are producing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping it improves near the end of the month...

      Delete
  7. Great blog. You post has got me very excited. In Australia we are just coming out of winter so about to put all the things you have growing at the moment in in the next couple of weeks. I love how the side of your house is such a productive space.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting and inspiring blog. I like gardening and interested in urbsn farming. Thanks for sharing. I invite you to visit my blog. I hope you will share more gardening tips.
    Thank you
    Endah, Indonesia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh Dan! You are so much better at this than I am! I could use your green thumb.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete