Tuesday, May 15, 2012

One bed down, All the rest to go!

May 3rd I planted the first bed of the season consisting of Broccoli and Pea's on the trellis behind. I also put in a few lettuce starts. The broccoli is doing well but it has not been the best season for peas. Hopefully they will catch up soon, it has been really dry this spring.


This weekend is the typical planting time for none hardy crops in the area. The plan is to get everything in, we'll see how I do. Lots of pictures to follow when I am done. I am looking forward to home grown veg again!


In other yard news, I have been continuing with my fence building. It has been a long hiatus since completing the north side in 2009. This year I am fencing off the entire yard. The back is done as of May 2nd and this week I am planning on starting the south side. Please disregard the sawdust covered patio....

14 comments:

  1. Isn't it great to finally get going? We've had a funny Spring here too. Months of dry hot from February, then weeks and weeks of flooding from April!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had our first "warm" day yesterday and it was glorious to be out in that sunshine and enjoy playing in the dirt. Fence building? I'd love a fence, but that's more work than I care to tackle. Have fun!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. May is a busy time isn't it? Although ours needs to warnm up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking it is time for me to put in my warm weather plants here. Things are really starting to warm up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looks good. Now for a little rain!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very nice! I just started my broccoli as I don't really know what I am doing! just started a blog of my journey as well. check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice fence! I'm envious of you all with your spring broccoli. Here, it's strictly fall. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work, Dan ! My spring crops are just starting to take off. April was weird here - first dry then really cold.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the May planting out process. The garden just suddenly is beautiful and growing and there is so much optimism in that. The fence project is quite an undertaking but is well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. are the broccoli transplants? i planted mine from seeds and they are very tiny so far. pics just posted to http://squaremetregardening.blogspot.ca/. I believe we're in the same zone too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! I haven't been around in a while - how's the beautiful cat?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice and orderly. Good luck with a happy and productive 2012 garden.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well we aren't fortunate enough to be able to plant anything as early as the 3rd of May but perhaps the 3rd of June. Although I don't try to plant anything in our vegetable garden before June 10th. Kinda grew up hearing that from my dad.

    I'm so looking forward to vegetable gardening again this year. Mmmm nice fresh produce once again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We planted peas in March and they are just now forming pods. It has been a strange year.

    ReplyDelete