Friday, September 24, 2010

The Fall Garden

With a new season upon use it seems like a good time to update on plant happenings. There is not much to update on fall planting because I have hardly done any. However there is still lots out in the garden so here goes a few photos:

There are four nice sized butternut squash ripening. They are about ready now but I will most likely leave them on the vine until we start getting frost warnings. The squash really took their time this year, I think because the peppers shaded them early on.

The mass of green is a double row of parsnips. They are engulfing the fall broccoli in front and smothering the poor carrots behind them. I think I will pull the carrots for this coming harvest monday and tie them back from the broccoli.

There is a nice cabbage forming. There should be two more but the chipmunks ate the other seedlings early on. Must remember to start extra plants next season!

The brussels sprouts are starting to sprout now. Perhaps this will be the first year they actually produce something. They are quite floppy so I will have to stake them up soon.

The purple sprouting broccoli have grown into monsters. So far they have produced a few small broccoli sprouts here and there. Hopefully they produce more as the fall progresses.

The celeriac has been bulking up during the last month. They are in between a hard ball and soft ball size now. I have no idea when they are ready, something I need to look into.

A few 'Petite Gris' melons have been sizing up. They are extremely late this year. I am half hopeful they will ripen before the fall frosts in late October.

Some blight has shown up on my tomatoes a couple weeks ago. It is not affecting the fruit so I am not to concerned. It is late in the season and most of the tomatoes are already done.

Asides from a few stragglers all the dry pole beans have been harvested. I am quite pleased with the dry pole beans. They produced a very nice yield from only three wigwams. I will post a dry bean overview soon.

Now to wrap things up with Charlie, the cat that showed up in the garden this spring. She is now a very content indoor cat. She has been spayed, vaccinated and is up to a healthy weight. As the picture shows she likes to find every new spot she can. Last night that spot was the basements false ceiling. If she only knew the tiles wouldn't hold her weight..... That aside she is a very nice cat and likes lots of attention, almost dog like really.

16 comments:

  1. I'm so happy Charlie found you! She's really a very pretty cat.

    The garden is looking good, mine is beginning to look quite empty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like things are growing well for you. I wish I had things like the sprouts and the broccoli, but I only planted the really fast maturing ones since they had to go in after the tomatoes were pulled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cat looks right at home!

    Hard to believe the season is almost over, isn't it? You'll be breaking out your winter houses before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The butternut is impressive I've never had much luck with them. Hasn't Charlie repayed some TLC? Hardly the same cat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gotta to try growing brussels sprouts one of these days. Such a cool plant ! My Fall garden doesn't look half as organized as yours. I'm such a slacker !

    Give Charlie some cuddles for me. She's adorable !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charlie's very cute! We have two cats who both require a lot of our attention but one is very much like a dog, even plays fetch with us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a small world we live in! I posted an almost identical picture of my brussels sprouts just last week. And we are half way round the world from each other!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I only got 3 butternuts, but sure am glad to have them! Your broccoli looks really good, and I just love seeing the dark green foliage. Cats sure are mischevious, and yours looks really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My celeriac is not bulking at all. I planted mine around the same time you planted yours though - I bet mine was too crowded - I think I waited too long to thin. Yours looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Butternut squash, parsnips and celeriac - looks like you've got the makings of a fabulous roasted veg soup!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like you've been very busy and are now reaping the rewards! It all looks very impressive. I think I should plan a bit better next year, the weather in the UK has been very unpredictable and the Veg Patch planting has gone a bit wonky. Squashes didn't go out in time and were eaten by pigeons. You've inspired me for next year though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your celeriac look very nice. I have only ONE this year! Last year I waited as long as I could to pull mine. Nov 14. I waited as long as I could before the ground froze.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love seeing all different ways gardeners make there garden beautiful. You are right, the colors of veggies are beautiful.
    I need to harvest my sage and dry it for tea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have a lovely and amazing garden. I wish I have a garden like yours..

    ReplyDelete