Monday, July 12, 2010

Harvest Monday

During the past week, harvests have not changed much but the garden did provide a bit more bulk. Looks like most of the warm season crops are still a ways from harvesting but are looking well. All the heat & rain we are getting will hopefully speed things along. Starting to wish I gave my tomatoes more then a 6 week head start.... Below are photos of what was brought in during the past seven days, the only thing not pictured are some 'Waltham' broccoli side shoots.

This is the biggest snap bean harvest so far this season. The bulk of them are Kentucky Blue pole beans, they are a cross between Kentucky Wonder & Blue Lake. There also are a few Purple Podded pole beans, love the purple colour but they go green when cooked. On the other side there is a nice bunch of Dragon Tongue beans. They are by far my favorite bean. Looks like this will be a good bean year!

I also brought in some peas from the poor heat stressed vines. The peas have been great this year, I have been picking them for over 6 weeks now. There is some of everything in there, Cascadia snap's (from Laura), Oregon Sugar snow's (from Miss M), Victorian Climbing shell's (from Gary) & Opel Creek Golden snap's.

I figured this would be the last of the peas but it looks like they are still putting out flowers, particularly the Cascadia snap's. The crops that will fallow the peas are still a ways from planting so I am going to leave them all in.

Be sure to check out Daphne's page were you can share your harvests and check out what everyone else is harvesting.

15 comments:

  1. We have been having a really hot, dry Summer so far and the French climbing beans and bush beans are loving it. Lots of peas too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got beans too Dan, but so far they are varieties that I want to eat as shellies, so I haven't had a green bean harvest yet. Peas are still coming, but not for long I think. As Matron says, it's been hot and dry here and the plants are looking exhausted. (So are the gardeners with their heavy watering cans!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your beautiful, long beans. Your DT beans were a hit here with the boy. I found them very prone to rust, but we'll be planting them again next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice looking beans! I finally pulled out my peas this past weekend...they were still putting out flowers but were completely hung over.

    It's actually nice to see some empty bed space now...I was worried that I wouldn't have any space for fall crops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful bean harvest! I love the color contrast of the purple podded beans. In addition to my usual Blue Lake pole beans, I am growing Royal Burgundy bush beans this year as I wanted some purple podded beans. My sugar snaps (Cascadia) are going strong still too. I planted some more intermixed with the cucumbers so they could use the same support. Never tried a late crop of them before so it will be an interesting experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Six weeks of pea harvests - that is a lot. I had only 2 weeks (but I didn’t grow all the varieties you have, just shell peas...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. the purple beans are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The beans were delicious... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm always amazed at how well the peas just keep going. I pulled mine, but if I had left them in I think they would have put out even more flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm amazed that you're still picking peas with all that heat. My peas always succumb to powdery mildew before the heat can get to them.

    Love those purple beans!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good haul! I love the purple beans! Ahh things to look forward to! I'm just getting my first peas the last day or two! Exciting times :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmmm, dragon tongue beans, and they're your favorite! I've never heard of them. Is this an heirloom? I like to hear of good heirlooms, because I'm planning on planting seeds next year, but don't know much about them. Thanks for the info! Great harvest!
    ~~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  13. Are the dragon tongue beans eaten as green beans, pods and all? Do they change color when you cook them? I still can't believe those beautiful purple podded pole beans go green when you cook them. I've seen pictures, but it's one of those things I feel like I need to see with my own eyes in person.

    ReplyDelete
  14. so many beans! I'm going to have to get those root trainers.

    ReplyDelete