Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Fall Crops Part One

The past few days have brought some fall planting, in between the heat & rain. This is the perfect time to get longer days to harvest crops in for a late harvest. Below are what has gone is so far:

I planted the broccoli that I started in cell packs mid June. They were planted within a row cover tunnel, the supports are just coat hangers. The tunnel will shade them a bit from the hot sun and keep the bugs out. Once they get larger I will remove the cover, probably in a month.

In place of the garlic I planted a bunch of carrots. I used Granny's seed mat idea again, it worked really well this spring. I planted out every kind of carrot I had, purple, yellow, orange & mini orange. Hopefully they will provide a nice harvest some time in November.

Here is a double row of Parsnips. I tried parsnips as a late crop last year and they produced a nice bunch of roots by early December. Hopefully they will this year as well. I also have a double row of parsnips I planted this spring.

With the snow peas finished I planted up the empty pot with soybeans. They require 80 days to harvest them green so there should be just enough time. Lets hope for a warm September.

In other fall news, I've done a fall swap with Thomas and his seeds arrived the other day. Lots of goodies, Claytonia, Shanghai Bok Choy, Chinese Celery & Winter Density Lettuce. Time to get planting!

15 comments:

  1. Your the 2nd person this week who wrote about Granny's seed mat and raved about it. I sooo want to try this now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those seed mats are neat! I recall drooling over them in the spring. Good to know it really did work that well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whaaa? I'm just beginning to harvest my summer crops, and your putting your fall crops in? Now, I realize you're in a cooler, shorter season climate, but it feels so weird...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the new sowings and plantings Dan. You are more organised than I am this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy, I better get my rear in gear!! I haven't even started my fall seeds yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am planting fall crops too this week and next. Kind of the sweet spot window for me to get things going and have them reach maturity in time for the fall/winter harvests. Planted up the broccoli and swiss chard on Sunday and have some kale and chinese cabbages yet to plant. My current dilemma is that I don't have enough open bed space at the moment for everything that needs to be planted pretty much right now.

    Nice seed haul from Thomas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dan, I hope you like the seeds! I'm really excited to try the little gem lettuce this winter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is it already almost fall? Wow. Good luck with the seeds! My pak choi and spinach bolted immediately to see. They were about a centimetre high. :( I turned them into the soil today. The Orach/Leeks/Chard seem to be going strong though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how organized you are with not just planning and planting, but also photographing the process for the rest of us to see. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you are off to a great start for fall! I may try your row cover tunnel idea. I am having a tough time with Japanese beetles this year and the row cover will help keep them off the fall seedlings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's that time already for me too, I think I left just enough space for all the fall/winter crops that I want to get going. I think I'll be trying Granny's seed mat also.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish I was planting some fall crops right now. I'm guessing that my main garden won't be able to be planted until September so I have no room right now. I keep thinking about planting carrots under my tomatoes though. Hmm or maybe spinach. I might do that in August.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck with the all the new seeds you've planted!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't believe you are starting fall crops already - I'm just starting to get summer veg. Great reminder to get on it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been scrolling through some of your postings and I am envious of your veggie crops! It looks as though you have had a wonderful growing season this year. Yum, it all looks so good...

    ReplyDelete