Thursday, August 27, 2009

Garden Meals

After having many comments about the rhubarb on my last harvest post I thought I would start this garden meals post with the pie I made with the rhubarb.

I made the same pie that I made this past strawberry season which is a Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie w/ Ginger Strussel topping. It is an excellent recipe with the end result being a jammy, spicy, sweet pie, yum. The recipe can be found on my Mom's baking blog.

This did not translate well in photo form but here we have Dan's Torn Tomato Salad and a Grilled Ham & Cheese Sandwich.

Dan's Torn Tomato Salad
  • chabada bread torn into bit size pieces (or any dense bread)
  • fresh mozzarella torn into bit size pieces
  • tomatoes cut into bit size pieces
  • seasoned with Salt & Pepper
  • dressed with a balsamic, olive oil & honey vinaigrette (or any vinaigrette you prefer)

Here we have Zesty Fingerling Potato Salad w/ Herbs, Green Beans w/ Caramelized Shallots and Schnitzel.

Zesty Fingerling Potato Salad w/ Herbs
(here is the original recipe, I cut the amounts in half)

Dressing:
  • 1 tsp lemon zest
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice(Fresh!)
  • 2 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
Salad

  • 4lbs fingerling potatoes or new potatoes
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1/4 cup chopped chives
  • 2 tsp fresh thyme
  • 2 tsp parsley
  • 2 tsp dill
In a bowl whisk together all the dressing ingredients until emulsified and set aside. Boil potatoes until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and then cut in half. Add prepped potatoes into the dressing, toss and allow to cool in the fridge. Once cooled add the sour cream & herbs and toss again. Taste and adjust seasoning before serving.

Green Beans w/ Caramelized Shallots

  • green beans
  • shallots
  • olive oil
  • s&p
Boil beans until 3/4 cooked, drain and set aside. In a pan add olive oil & shallots and cook until they caramelize. At this point add the beans to the pan and cook until the beans are cooked through. Season with salt & pepper before serving.

13 comments:

  1. You had me at pie. I so love pie (all except cherry) and strawberry rhubarb is one that brings up the nostalgia of childhood. My mom wasn't a great cook, but she could make pie and every spring we got strawberry rhubarb. Yum! That and fresh cantaloupes were the real treats of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you are such a big tease with that pie-we just can't eat it thru the computer! Darn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daphne - Until recently I had never had strawberry rhubarb pie. I remember a good amount of rhubarb pies when I was younger though. The added strawberries really add to the pie!

    Tina - I just finished a piece, it was sooo good! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything looks delicious ! I'm just so hungry now. :P *drool*
    (ps. Nice pie plate!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miss M - The pie plate is a new addition, it came from home hardware, 10 bucks I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dan, this post is making my hungry! That toasted sandwich look divine (no white bread for me atm, not fair!!!) The pie too looks amazing. And the bean recipe is going to be tried very soon (though alas no homegrown beans here for a while)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Schnitzel!!! Oh my goodness I haven't had that since I was a kid. What's rhubarb like?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Prue - I try not to eat much white bread but this stuff is irresistible. Buttermilk bread with sesame topping baked locally, soft chewy, amazing! Some times I wonder how I don't weight 250lbs, ha.

    Ribbit - I get Schnitzel from the store pretty often. I like that I can cook it from frozen to cooked in 15 minutes. Rhubarb almost has a strawberry taste but it is really sour, it needs lots of sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay... I have got to quit reading these garden meal posts late in the evening.... I end up prowling the kitchen for a snack afterwards because they make me hungry! LOL!

    Rhubarb and strawberry/rhubarb pie is one of my absolute favorites. Such a treat and so appealing to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  10. kitsapFG - I'm a big pie fan, anything sweet actually! By the way when I try to comment on your current post it will not show up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never had strawberries and rhubarb together. Somehow I feel it will detract from both but maybe I'm wrong - it looks like it might be greater than the sum of its parts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Although I've never had rhubarb pie, it looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dan - Come on man! I need a pic of the tomato salad!

    ReplyDelete