Friday, July 24, 2009

An afternoon at the lake.

This afternoon we went to check out the bald eagle nest that is a few cities south east of us. No such luck there so we decided to continue along the Grand River until it enters Lake Erie. I have never been to this spot before and Lake Erie is only about an hour from Brantford so it was a nice day trip. Well by the lake we stopped at Long Beach, Lowbanks & Port Maitland which are all on the road along the lake. Here are some photos I took along the way:

Bald Eagle

Bald Eagle - Not the greatest shot because the lighting was poor and it was high in the sky. It was spotted on the Grand River as it enters Lake Erie

Blue Heron

Blue Heron - This bird was in a canal along the road. It flew away seconds after taking this shot and kept squawking as it flew. These Herons are a little ornery.

Cormorant

Cormorant & Seagull on the Grand River just before it enters Lake Erie.

Public Acess to Lake Erie

This is a public access to the Lake Erie shoreline. One of the quietest ones I have seen.

Lake Erie

Lake Erie

Wind Turbine

This is one of five wind turbines in this particular spot along Lakeshore Dr. There is a lot of these by the lake now.

Well on the photo subject I thought I would share a few photos I have taken during the last few weeks:

Sandhill Crane

Sandhill Cranes

These two shots are of Sandhill Cranes, I have came across these on two occasions now in Brant County. They are rather spectacular birds to see and are reported to date back as far as 2.5 million years.

Cedar Waxwing

Cedar Waxwing

Tundra(or Trumpeter?)Swan Family I

Swan family that has nested in Brant County. No sure if they are Tundra or Trumpeter Swans?

Country Pond

Country pond with a large amount of duck weed on it.
(This is also a good indication of our weather lately, 80% cloud and cool)

Wild Tiger Lily

A wild Lily

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful, simply gorgeous. I love the various bird pics. One of our favorite things is to watch for wildlife as we hike. A good outing is one full of wildlife sightings.

    Thanks for the beautiful photo journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although we mainly blog about growing stuff, it is so great to see a wider context of where the person lives. The wildlife, local recipes, markets and scenery put it all into perspective. Love the bald eagle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got some great shots Dan. The blue heron is outstanding. We were at Land Between the Lakes two weeks ago and came around a bend in the river where we saw a gentleman with a LONG set of lens on his camera trying to photograph a huge black blob in the tree. At first I thought it was a bear but he said it was a bald eagle. It was a thrill as I could not believe how big it was! We don't often see them but they do live at Land Between the Lakes, a nice recreational area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You live in a great spot, Dan, in proximity to 3 of the Great Lakes. I’ve had the chance to visit Lake Ontario when my Dad was living in Toronto. I’ve also sailed Lake Michigan while visiting a friend in Chicago and dipped my foot in Lake Superior (in December !) while crossing the country en route for the West Coast. (My crazy traveling buddy had a full dip !) Such massive expanses of water, seas really. I have yet to visit Lake Erie. It’s good to see wind energy is being developed. Great spot for it.

    Duckweed can be a nasty invader but that pic of the pond is stunning. (The lilies in the foreground compliment the colour of the dying trees, lol !) Wonderful pics of wildlife !

    ReplyDelete
  5. We went to a wildlife preserve a few weeks ago to see their bald eagle. The boy was thrilled the eagle had grown feathers and wasn't "bald" anymore.

    They're magestic creatures, aren't they.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dan, I so so so enjoyed your wildlife photos! Thanks for sharing them!

    We've seen quite a few sand hill cranes here in Wyoming... more this year than ever before!

    I think that your bald eagle photo is fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the cranes. We don't have them around here, or at least I've never seen them. We get a lot of Great Blue Herons in our rivers and lakes though so I get to see them every now and then. They are such interesting birds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, goregous! Makes you want to move there. Truly amazing photos! Makes my 2.0 mp blackberry look downright horrible, even if I worked at the staging like you do naturally.

    Hope you enjoyed your visit.

    ReplyDelete